Clideo has two options to create GIF files.
- You can create an animated GIF or continuous loop from a video in the Loop Video tool, when you choose to repeat the video continuously.
- You can export your project which is up to 30 seconds as a static or animated GIF file in Video Editor.
What is GIF
GIF (graphics interchange format) is an image format that was created in 1987. Due to its technical limitations, the resulting GIF file has the following characteristics:
- GIF files do not have sound.
- The color scheme supports up to 8 bits per pixel and can be up to 256 colors. To convert any media into 8-bit, dithering is used which can affect the overall quality of the resulting file (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither).
- GIF files use a very primitive file compression algorithm and that is why their size may be larger than the original video they are created from.
Continuous loop alternatives
A video file by itself cannot be looped, as it always has the first and last frame and is played once from start to finish. If you want to loop the video file playback, it is better to focus on the application or technology that is playing the file:
- In a media player, turn on the Repeat option.
- In a browser, use the HTML5 video player loop option.